Can I have SIL without SDA?

Can I have SIL without SDA? If you are wondering about this question, you are at the right place to remove your confusion. Well, SIL and SDA services don’t depend on each other. They both are independent services. So, Yes! You can have SIL without SDA.

This article will enlighten you about the fact more clearly. You will understand the basic differences between these two funding options. Let’s have a look at the details.


What Is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

SIL is a kind of NDIS funding that provides support to people with serious physical or mental disabilities to live independently. SIL assists people who are living alone or living in a shared home. It includes the following benefits –

  • Assist with Personal care such as showering, dressing, etc.
  • Help with medical needs and medication management.
  • Help in household tasks like shopping, cleaning, preparing meals, and so on.
  • Support in clinical needs.

There are three types of NDIS SIL Vacancies available. They are – Lower Needs, Standard Needs, and Higher Needs. ‘Lower Needs’ cover regular supervision while the ‘Standard Needs’ actively assist an individual for a fixed time. On the other hand, ‘Higher Needs’ works with the participant who needs constant and complex aid.

Based on the situation and requirements, one can get their funding.

What Is Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

SDA Housing is a service of NDIS that is available for NDIS participants. The funding is available for individuals who have a severe functional impairment that requires complex support.

These participants can not live in a usual housing environment and required a special housing arrangement. The eligible individual will receive housing costs through their SDA Provider.

The SDA service is given to the participant who needs support with daily activities like below –

  • Getting in or out of the bed.
  • Moving around safely
  • Getting dressed
  • Meal preparation
  • Participant in community works

Individuals who have spent a long time in aged care or group home, or have complex behavior that could mitigate risk are considered for the SDA housing service.

SDA and SIL Are Not The Same!

So, you have seen already that the SDA and SIL services are not the same. There is a clear line between these two.

SDA is for people who need specially designed accommodations or modify their existing house to meet their complex needs. On the other hand, SIL supports the daily life of an individual with a disability and helps them to live independently as much as possible.

What if a person needs both of them?

Well, If a person needs both day-to-day support and a specially modified house, he or she can get both SDA and SIL funding.

Final Words

Can I have SIL without SDA? – now you know the answer. Hence, if you are looking for SIL accommodation in NSW and you don’t have SDA support in your NDIS plan, don’t worry at all!

It’s true that understanding NDIS plans is quite difficult. So it will be better to contact your NDIS provider when you have any type of confusion. A good NDIS provider can help you come up with the best solution for you.